[M3devel] new gcc build time

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 17 15:00:51 CEST 2008

I don't think so. I don't think so. I don't think so. :)
I don't think we bootstrapped. I don't think there's much reason. I don't think it should even be an option.
But I don't know.
It should be faster.

I think a reason to bootstrap would be if the system's C compiler can't compile gcc.
That is, if it isn't gcc, or is an old gcc. Or maybe even that is false -- not sure what the requirements to build gcc are.
Given that usually it is gcc and recent, seems like little reason.
Maybe "SOLsun" would do it, for example.
??????

I'm still having trouble just making an x86 hosted x86 targeted build on AMD64, but I'm close.
Something like
CC="gcc -m32 -Xassembler --32" configure --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
though I'm sure that's overkill to specify three architectures. I have to read the explanation of which is which.
When there are only two, host and target make sense, is "build" the current one that is building the compiler, host is where it will run, target is what it will produce? I guess that's reasonable. So build could always be sniffed automatically and it might as well be native -- this compiler already must exist, or it is stage1 if bootstrapping from other than gcc. ? I guess stage1 is build a build-hosted host-targeted compiler, stage2 is host-hosted, target-targeted, what you actually want, stage3 is the same, and compare? Something like that? I should read up.. this doesn't seem like enough passes when building a cross-compiler, or just you have skip the "compare" when building a cross compiler?

Later..
 - Jay