[M3devel] FW: gmp and mpfr

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:55:18 CEST 2008

truncated yet again, maybe I have to forward instead of reply..

Truncated again..

Static linking libc is a different matter.
It should work on Linux and NT but I realize it isn't universally supported.
I did it by accident.
The kernel does have a compatiblity burden, at least where the interfaces have been published.
(On NT, the layering is different. You can link statically to libcmt.lib, which to a very large extent is what people think of libc, but it doesn't call the kernel directly, it goes through kernel32.dll, which goes through ntdll.dll, and syscall numbers are not stable.)

Anyway, for libgmp and libmpfr, I still think static linking to these two is definitely ok, or better.

Whether we import the source is a separate variable -- can still build a static .a file and link to it and drop the runtime dependency.

That, or we get to deal with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or -rpath.

It sure is nice how on Windows you can at least colocate .exes and .dlls in the same directory and the .dlls get found.
This is a different matter vs. if current directory is in the search path for .exes.

 - Jay