[M3devel] naming conventions for split/composed interfaces?

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Thu Apr 24 01:01:27 CEST 2008

I too agree with Tony and Olaf on this point.  The type of change Jay is
suggesting goes against the way the language development has been set up
and established since the beginning.
Regards,
Randy

Quoting Tony Hosking <hosking at cs.purdue.edu>:

> Basically, I hate the idea of tangling together multiple machine-
> dependent systems in the same files.  Yes, it is verbose with
> duplicated functionality, but it *is* separable.  I can delete one
set
> of files without breaking builds on other targets.  I hate the idea
of
> C wrappers even more!
>
> So, my position remains that while it is verbose having separate
> target-specific directories, at least they are independent and
isolated.

> I actually think your suggestion is much messier than the current
situation!

I agree with Tony here: we should keep the structure as simple and
easily manageable as possible.

While I understand your idea to join together files based on content
(or, ultimately, on Unix history) we should keep in mind that a
minimal amount of code does not always mean the minimal amount
of maintenance costs, as the underlying systems evolve, too, and may
(and will) do so in different directions. This may then require a
different internal structure.

So I like the idea of keeping different directories for different
systems, even if there is some redundancy.

Another argument to keep the structure is that is has proven to be
easily portable; and we should be very careful to change it.

Olaf
                Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25 / Gebäude 12, 13355 Berlin,
Germany
phone: +49 30 23 45 86 96  mobile: +49 177 2345 869  fax: +49 30 23 45
86 95
    http://www.elegosoft.com ( http://www.elegosoft.com/ ) |
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin
Handelregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 77719 | USt-IdNr:
DE163214194