[M3devel] need help with cm3 problem before I deliver software this week

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 17:28:16 CEST 2008

Clarification: there are other changes.
There was a change in font stuff.
There was added batching of painting.
And more.

I'm still stumped. I have to be away from this for a few hours or all day.
I think seeing if 4.1 repros will be good, and then maybe widen the net on either a) what changed (not just trestle?) and b) debugging it.
Really it shouldn't be hard..to figure how out it decides where to place the character.

Oh, and save the text file, see if it is in memory and on disk where it is drawn on the screen.
That would be useful to know.

ok..the text matches the display.

I can roll Wintrestle.i3 back to cm3.6, still repros.

Ok, the reason it is platform specific is because of:

Searching for 'TextPortModel: TEXT := "'...C:\dev2\cm3.2\m3-ui\vbtkit\src\vbtkitutils\POSIX\VBTKitEnv.i3(30):  TextPortModel: TEXT := "emacs";C:\dev2\cm3.2\m3-ui\vbtkit\src\vbtkitutils\WIN32\VBTKitEnv.i3(30):  TextPortModel: TEXT := "mac";
If you change Windows the the emacs model, no repro.
So try Posix to mac model, hopefully it repros.

Ok, Randy, is this actually your bug, or just indicative of it?

 - Jay

From: jayk123 at hotmail.comTo: rcoleburn at scires.com; rodney.bates at wichita.edu; dabenavidesd at yahoo.esDate: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:45:02 +0000CC: m3devel at elegosoft.comSubject: Re: [M3devel] need help with cm3 problem before I deliver software this week

 > It works ok with 3.6.. a *quick* and *incomplete* survey of 3.6 vs. current shows:  - deal with change in Text type (platform independent)   - handle WM_CHAR (windows specific)   - handle newlines differently (platform independly, except maybe the data varies per platform)  I tried undoing the last two, still no luck. The first is harder to undo, maybe "impossible", just have to read/debug it and decide it is ok or not..? Next easy step is probably to see if repros with 4.1,  and then proceed with comparing the "closer" repro vs. non-repro.  If it does not repro with 4.1, and newer releases are available  between it and current -- e.g. 5.2 -- would be good to narrow  down when it started happening and compare those source trees.The code in question is stuff like mtext and textport.There are functions named key or Key or mouse or Mouse. Those are also important to look at, I think.Not being particularly close to figuring this out, consider ignoring everything I have said. :)It is hard to pass up such a simple repro. :)And the knowledge that 3.6 works, and really not much has changed in the intervening ~12 years..Oh, and there are pixmap changes.Randy, I glossed over the mail about pixmaps.You have a simple repro of that?You can try it with 3.6?3.6 should still be readily downloadable from the web, and it really isn'tdifficult to get it up and running, at least on Windows.(I can't speak for Linux. I ran 3.6, albeit hardly at all, on Linux 1.2 I think it was,and NT 3.51, maybe later NT and maybe Win9x)(and 3.6 is liberally licensed, so anyone can send it around.The notion that 5.1 was the open source release always sounded wrong...) - Jay

From: jayk123 at hotmail.comTo: rcoleburn at scires.com; rodney.bates at wichita.edu; dabenavidesd at yahoo.esCC: m3devel at elegosoft.comSubject: RE: [M3devel] need help with cm3 problem before I deliver software this weekDate: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:06:45 +0000

It works ok with 3.6..