[M3devel] serial/Cygwin

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Thu Dec 18 23:03:06 CET 2008

I agree that it is highly desirable to have both native windows and Cygwin
variants of Modula-3.  But I also think that it is unrealistic to try to
support a complete or even partial Cartesian product of all the many
separate options Jay enumerates.  Without debating whether it might be
desirable, it's just way too much work when there are other, more pressing
things to do with our limited support time.

Mix and match is just entirely unrealistic.  By the same reasoning, I
have given up on the similar ideal of making m3gdb handle a linked-together
mix of code from different Modula-3 compilers: PM3, CM3, standalone
backend, different versions of gcc-derived back end, etc.

I advocate a Cygwin target that is as Unix-like as possible, in as many
respects as possible, and a native Windows target that is as Windows-like
as possible in as many respects as possible.  No more.