[M3devel] This disgusting TEXT business

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Sat Dec 20 10:10:45 CET 2008

Whole bussiness of mixed TEXT's - concat of TEXT and WIDETEXT is either
slow, or produces results that make subsequent operations slow - is
where problem is with this implementation.

IMO, best solution would be to replace internal representation with
UTF-8. For whom may be concerned with it - make some external widechar
conversion routines available.

That way - concat would be as fast as it can be made and other
operations would be realistic - it is how almost everybody does their
Unicode strings, after all. Almost everybody - excluding mobile industry
and Microsoft :-), AFAIK.

Compiler changes would make transparent conversion of literals.
Everything else is already transparent with regard to internal
representation.

I've sent some UTF-8 routines ages ago to Olaf. IIRC, he was reluctant
to accept them as he did not believe C base routines were widespread
enough. GNU world has no such reluctance. Everything is UTF8.

If nobody can fill this job in next few weeks, I will probably have some
time this winter. No promise, of course, but list will know :-).

dd

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>