[M3devel] This disgusting TEXT business

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Sat Dec 20 19:20:12 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 16:19 +0000, Jay wrote:
> My opinions..
>
>   UTF8 is a hack.
>   It lets people do approximately nothing and claim they have done a
> lot.
>   UTF8 is popular, but I'm still very skeptical of it.

  I am very skeptical to skepticism without arguments. Extremelly
skeptical when argument is "Windows does it...".

>   The best representation for Unicode is fixed size 16 bit characters,
> as Windows
>   uses "everywhere". All the functions taking 8 bit characters are
> just thin
>   wrappers over functions dealing with 16 bit characters.

  And both these facts/argument/whatever sounds scary, at least for me,
me being a person of Modula-2/Modula-3 upbringing :-).

  UTF-8 has done everything it promised. UTF-8 is everywhere, except in
Windows and mobile industry. This I/O conversion routines will do when
cooperating with these worlds.

  As you pointed out - 16bit is not enoough for Unicode. UTF-8 covers
all Unicode characters. If only this one is argument for Modula-3
Unicode representation in 2009 - it is enough for me.

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>