[M3devel] CM3 Source "pure"?

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Sat Dec 20 23:05:18 CET 2008

On 21 Dec 2008, at 08:45, Martin Bishop wrote:

> I was looking through the CM3 sources out of boredom and noticed that
> there seems to be no C code, not even for runtime stuff?

Precisely, Modula-3 is a systems programming language just as capable
as C.  To that end, a goal of any language implementation is to "eat
your own dog food" and implement as much of the language in itself as
possible.

> Are the CM3 sources "pure" in that they don't use any C code directly?
> (I did see some uses of M3toC and such).

There are some C sources that adapt to C library and system functions,
but generally use of C is discouraged in the Modula-3 implementation.