[M3devel] This disgusting TEXT business

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Tue Dec 23 23:31:54 CET 2008

Mika Nystrom wrote:
> "Rodney M. Bates" writes:
>> It ought to cause minimal grief to just change WIDECHAR so it has a
>> big enough value range for all the Unicode values, probably 32 bits
>> in today's world.  Surely nobody has written any code that assumes
>> BITSIZE(WIDECHAR)=16. ;-)  Even if so, this shouldn't be a terribly
>
> Minor issue, I know, but... Pickles?

Yes, I have been thinking about this too, and some implementation
work would be required here.  It should not be too hard to use the
existing mechanism that pickles/unpickles INTEGER fields of differing
sizes on different architectures and do the same thing with different
sizes of WIDECHAR.  And apparently having had my fingers inside of
pickles recently more than anybody else, I would expect to be the
one to do it.

It is likely that network objects containing such fields would want
similar treatment.