[M3devel] This disgusting TEXT business

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 24 01:31:50 CET 2008

Might I suggest an interface somewhat like the Rd/Wr interfaces?
One could provide a buffer into which characters are read en masse
instead of going through the method calls for each character..

Of course for equality this isn't necessarily more efficient since
you often can do an early-out: although I believe that Text.Equal
(when performance matters) usually does return TRUE....

I think it is important that basic TEXT operations be very, very
fast.  Many people care about that.  Many of those that don't
wouldn't be using a compiled language anyhow.

    Mika