[M3devel] FW: put full paths to source files in debug info

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 09:59:47 CET 2008

truncated again! and possibly misformated..

From: jayk123 at hotmail.comTo: m3devel at elegosoft.comSubject: RE: put full paths to source files in debug infoDate: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:44:11 +0000

pps: "webinfo" (Reactor?) and assertion failures are affected by this also, but not fully. Before you would have gotten: ****** runtime error:***    <*ASSERT*> failed.***    file "WaitProcessCygwin.m3", line 16*** but now you get: ****** runtime error:***    <*ASSERT*> failed.***    file "..\src\thread\WIN32\WaitProcessCygwin.m3", line 16***I'd say the realpath call (or whatever the portable Modula-3 library call is) should be moved up to m3front to address these, and the parse.c change undone. As well, I believe resolving symlinks is happening too but that wasn't the point, so something instead of realpath might be preferable. Like, just see if the string starts ".\" or "..\", it will almost always start "..\", and if so, prepend current working directory and then workout the dots. It may also be reasonable to provide paths to the compiler to remove from the starts of paths, which would likely address the symlink issue, since they are more likely to be nearer the start of the path than the middle or end. As well as partly the privacy/size/same-across-machines issues. In any case, I think this easy small change is already very useful progress. Or does everyone else just fill up .gdbinit with dir commands? It seems to me that it shouldn't even that difficult, even if it isn't very difficult. Agreed?  - Jay