[M3devel] quake extensions for tests / RFC

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Feb 7 00:07:08 CET 2008

Quoting Mika Nystrom <mika at async.caltech.edu>:

> Isn't Nelson's book "Systems Programming with Modula-3" to a large
> extent composed of literate programming (Threads interfaces, etc.)?
> Modula-3 has really cool literate programming support and it'd be
> a shame to lose it.  Also m3browser does support the automatic cross
> referencing you're talking about.  Last I checked it was a bit
> buggy.

Well, I think you're right and one can see m3browser as a kind of
special literate programming support. And if it is currently buggy
-- perhaps you could explain what exactly is wrong -- we should
certainly fix it.

However, I understood the request of Daniel Alejandro Benavides
as one to re-add support for some generic literate programming tools
which where already supported in earlier releases of M3. There is no
harm in that, and I think we should be open for integrations of
many such tools. I don't think it will be very difficult to add
this support (as it has already been there), I'm just not familiar
enough with the noweb tools to exactly know what is needed, so I
asked for some help.

I also think the SGML tools that were used for the PM3 documentation
are a kind of literate programming support; and that's probably the
most powerful and promising solution.

Olaf