[M3devel] what processors anyone cares about?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:35:16 CET 2008

ps: I will point out that NT 3.1 doesn't have have good compatibility with things like VMware or Virtual PC (or vice versa), not sure it will even run on modern hardware (the problem is probably these virtual machines exposing too much?)

also what processors do people care about?
 386?
 486?
 Pentium I?
 (Pentium's with the FDIV bug? I still see remnants of the workaround for that..)

The newer processors have some nice seeming instructions. Like read timestamp counter, interlocked compare exchange 64, interlocked increment/decrement (on circa 386, those Win32 functions don't return the new value, only <0, 0, or >0), conditional mov, etc. And there is MMX, XMM (SSE?), SSE2/3/4..the instruction set advances don't seem to ever stop.. Nice thing about AMD64 is it establishes a new baseline.

I can't claim to have done any profiling with or without these instructions used.. nor that the integrated backend will ever advance in these areas..

 - Jay

From: jayk123 at hotmail.comTo: m3devel at elegosoft.comDate: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:15:50 +0000Subject: [M3devel] FW: [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Aren't we better off with more VAR parameters and fewer UNTRACED REFs?That way more interfaces/modules can be "safe", as this one changed? (Does anyone care about NT 3.1 or, gasp, Win32s compat? :) )(Maybe a "DJGPP" target will satisfy? :) )  - Jay