[M3devel] size_t?

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Feb 12 00:37:56 CET 2008

Yes, the ANSI C standard defines size_t and ptrdiff_t in stddef.h.

Subtracting two pointers yields ptrdiff_t, so in M3 it would
presumably be INTEGER.
size_t is what sizeof returns, so I imagine size_t=CARDINAL is
probably OK (to match BITSIZE/BYTESIZE/ADRSIZE), but maybe should
better be Word.T to match C's unsigned interpretation.  Of course,
Word.T is simply INTEGER anyway in the current CM3 implementation.
Note that neither of these need to be defined in the 32bit/64bit
subdirectories since they are straightforwardly the same as the
underlying word size.