[M3devel] "target specific pragmas"?

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Thu Feb 14 18:31:50 CET 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 3:12 AM, Olaf Wagner wrote:

[...many other good comments deleted...]

> Multiple inheritance was left out of the language after long
> discussions because it was not really understood at that time.
> It may be that things have changed in this respect, but I still
> don't think it is.

Multiple inheritance is fine so long as it encodes only type, but
*not* if it encodes representation as well.  Witness single
inheritance for classes in Java, versus multiple inheritance for
interfaces in Java.  That seems to be the general consensus these days.

>> To a large extent I'm just looking for a small smart group to have
>> a  friendly intellectual discussion with.
>> (and of course, don't mess up their code)
>
> I think you can have that here. People are willing to discuss and
> think things over, but the pace may be somewhat slower than you'd
> like :-)
> (It's not as bad as with Tolkien's Ents, but still ... slow :)
> So, as others have noted, it's great that there is so much activity
> recently, but it would still be better if the discussions and comments
> were more focused on important language related content about M3.
> Nobody has accused you of malicious intentions, and you've always
> accepted objections and corrections by others as far as I remember.
>
> I think what is mostly needed is to slightly adapt your style of
> working and discussing things to become better accepted here.
> Don't speak out too rash, and don't commit lots of small changes
> too soon. Work things out and become more self-confident about
> the results of your work. I'm sure you can contribute many interesting
> things to M3.

Indeed, Jay, we need your Windows energy -- M3 needs to play well on
Windows if it is to serve its true purpose: a language that allows
applications to be written easily that also run on a multitude of
platforms (POSIX, Mach/Darwin/OS X, Windows, ...).  Randy is very
keen to have a *stable*, easily installed, reliable, version of CM3
running on Windows.  I am not sure we have reached that goal yet,
even as you have put some great work into achieving that goal.  I
would very much encourage you to focus your efforts on achieving that
kind of stability/reliability/usability for Windows.

> PS: Sorry if some of the above reads as if I'm your teacher ;-)

We are all padawans Obi-wan. ;-)