[M3devel] "target specific pragmas"?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Feb 15 15:18:19 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:47:01AM +1100, Darko wrote:
> I don't really question the usefulness of any given feature, just the
> incremental cost of adding any given feature. One of M3's great
> strengths is that it is low on features, but the ones it has are
> powerful and well chosen.
>
> The comparison I meant in the typing discussion was between C and M3,
> not the length of symbols. C is a bit obsessive about source size,
> which was meaningful back in the day, but today is totally irrelevant.
> Even if you don't use macros on your editor, the amount of time spent
> staring and your code is much greater than the time you spend typing
> it. You could argue that BEGIN/END is easier to read than {/}

If I had to argue, I'd argue the reverse.  In fact, if it weren't for
disputes about the number of spaces that are equivalent to a tab and
such, I'd argue for using indentation and dispensing with BEGIN/END/{/}
altogether.

Somewhere I have a C++ program with all the braces left out.  If you
manage to supply the right braces and get it compiled, you end up
with a program that will do the job of supplying the right braces.
I could post it here if anyone in interested in such a curiosity.

There's one language I've seen that goes in the opposite direction.
Every END is followed by an arbitrary amount of text from the start of
the construct it closes and a semicolon.  This a WHILE loop starting
   WHILE toronto == montreal
could end with
   END WHILE toronto ==;
making visual matchin unambiguous.

I've got friends that complain about haveing to type the name if a
procerure twice in its declaration -- once at the start and once at the
end.  They say they keep fprgetting to modify both.  But I welcome this
as a useful check on long-range bracket matching.  Forcing it for
short-range marching, though, is clutter.

-- hendrik