[M3devel] [M3commit] CVS Update: cm3

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 18 19:55:53 CET 2008

Jay Krell writes:
>CVSROOT:	/usr/cvs
>Changes by:	jkrell at birch.	08/02/18 16:16:44
>
>Modified files:
>	cm3/m3-sys/m3quake/src/: QMachine.i3 QMachine.m3
>	cm3/m3-sys/cm3/src/: M3Path.m3
>
>Log message:
>	At least for purposes of determining if Join(a,b) is b or a + slash + b,
>	treat any path that starts with a forward or backward slash, or
>	contains a colon as the second character, as absolute, on all platforms.
>	It is ASSUMED that backslashes and colons are never used in paths
>	on non-Windows systems, or at least that this interpretation is ok.

I think people are careful not to use backslashes on Unix because
it does weird things in the shell, so "it's not surprising" if
things go bad if you use backslashes in your filenames.  I know I
never have, on purpose.

But colons?  Colons are not special in any way, shape, or form, on
Unix...  I think "it is extremely surprising" to a Unix user if a path
with a colon in it breaks something.

     Mika