[M3devel] <*LAZYALIGN*>

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Fri Feb 22 16:40:44 CET 2008

I believe from reading code, that PM3 and CM3 pickle files are non-interchangeable
for another, more serious reason, namely, that the byte ordering of type
signatures in the files is different.

I think this can be fixed by making pickle code try either byte ordering, without
invalidating any existing pickle files.  There would be a very remote chance of
a misrecognized type, but then this is already possible due to the hash-code nature
of signatures anyway.  This is on my to-do list for work on pickles.

Mika Nystrom wrote:
> Ugh!!!  I am still using compilers that are almost ten years old
> on ALL my systems just because I need to share pickles between them
> and CM3 has a different TEXT format from my ancient PM3.  Tony
> thinks there's a workaround with specials but I haven't had a chance
> to get to it yet...

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu