[M3devel] <*LAZYALIGN*>

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Sat Feb 23 01:16:36 CET 2008

Mika:

I believe the person you are referencing is Blair McIntyre.  Last time I communicated with him he was a professor at Georgia Tech.

Regards,
Randy

>>> Mika Nystrom <mika at async.caltech.edu> 2/22/2008 4:19 PM >>>
Oh I should be clear on what I mean, exactly, when I say things like that.

Pickles "version 1", what was in SRC M3 and is in PM3, were never from what
I understand completely implemented?  For one thing, they didn't support
endian-switching.

A gentleman with a Scottish name that eludes me at the moment came
out with "Pickles version 2", which do the endianness-switching, among
other things.

My "PM3" includes a lot of things from newer M3s, such as this Pickles version 2.

I really am not enamored with my ancient PM3.  I just need something
that works reliably on Cygwin *and* FreeBSD (which it does).  So adding
the odd CM3 library to it is no big deal.

But the TEXT issue is so deeply embedded in the compiler and runtime
that I haven't had the guts to try to retrofit CM3 TEXTs to PM3 or
vice versa.

I am almost certain I have tested interchanging pickles between my PM3 code
and some CM3 code and verified that it did work as long as there were no
TEXTs involved.  (It was a couple of years ago I did this; I think I spammed
m3devel about it then too.)

     Mika

"Rodney M. Bates" writes:
>I believe from reading code, that PM3 and CM3 pickle files are non-interchangeable
>for another, more serious reason, namely, that the byte ordering of type
>signatures in the files is different.
>
>I think this can be fixed by making pickle code try either byte ordering, without
>invalidating any existing pickle files.  There would be a very remote chance of
>a misrecognized type, but then this is already possible due to the hash-code nature
of signatures anyway.  This is on my to-do list for work on pickles.