[M3devel] another nt/posix target?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 24 12:03:34 CET 2008

This is really getting a head of things, but I think maybe there should be a target for "Services for Unix".
Probably called X86_INTERIX or something?

Or X86_INTERIX_GCC and X86_INTERIX_MSVC?
Or X86_SFU_GNU, X86_SFU_MS?
Or simply X86_NTX?
I think the different tools might not matter -- might be just "cc" vs. "gcc" and the same runtime, same setjmp buffer.
It looks like you have a choice of compilers.
It looks like a pretty good system from a Posix point of view.
I have to try it out more.
And maybe stay on other areas for now.
Pthreads looks definitely viable here, so start with the Cygwin "minimized" "headers" (.i3) files, correct them, add back pthreads (and dependent signal stuf..)

I know it's too late, but I guess naming scheme should have included "OS_TYPE".
 X86_WIN32_MSVC
 X86_WIN32_BLAND  (Borland)
 X86_WIN32_DMARS  (Digital Mars)
 X86_WIN32_WAT (Open Watcom)
 X86_WIN32_GCC (MinGWin)
   or maybe clearer X86_WIN32_MINGWIN
 X86_POSIX_GCC (Cygwin)
   or maybe clearer X86_POSIX_CYGWIN
 X86_POSIX_SFU or X86_POSIX_INTERIX
  or X86_POSIX_INTERIX_GCC
  or X86_POSIX_INTERIX_MSVC

etc.

Then, to the extent that these are all the same, it seems like I did a good thing separating "target" from "configuration"?
Or again, compiler is a configuration thing, runtime due to jmpbuf size is something the compiler needs to know about, and processor actually the compiler hardly cares about -- it has to know 32bit vs. 64bit, and then just to call cm3cg usually.. :)

Anyway, let's retable the general issue and just, PERHAPS, discuss Interix/SFU.
A target/config name is probably all, X86_INTERIX or X86_SFU, or X86_MSWINX or X86_WINPOSIX or X86_POSIX_MS or X86_POSIX_NT X86_NTPOSIX something..