[M3devel] CM3 package dependicies

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Feb 28 00:14:49 CET 2008

Quoting Jay <jayk123 at hotmail.com>:

>> A list of all packages is kept in scripts/pkginfo.txt.
> I also plan to make scripts/python and scripts/win use pkginfo.txt,
> esp. scripts/python.
> If anyone cares, please speak up.

> I would also like filtering to be driven by pkginfo.txt, however
> that seems of quite low importance, esp. in ratio to how obvious the
>  design is (not entirely obvious, like if something really really
> simple will suffice or be too ambiguous).
>
> Also, Olaf, about two months ago I believe you said "std should be all".
> I hesitated. "Are you certain?"
Seems I was wrong there. When we first made the system run again,
we thought of `std' to be the compilable and usable packages. Now
all packages should at least compile. Perhaps we should drop it
or define a more sensible set of `standard packages'?

> I kind of also think filtering needs a command line override.
> Maybe just that do-pkg should do no filtering?
Sounds OK. Or add a -f option.

> You know, I always set OMIT_GCC and I occasionally want to build m3cc.
> I do like how sh can set env vars on the command line for just that
> invocation, but I'm not willing to switch to sh just for that
> feature with all that I'd lose.
We'll get you around in the end. This is Unix. Resistance is futile :-)

> Again, though, I've settled into the larger consensus that this
> stuff doesn't matter too much. :)
Right :-)