[M3devel] state of m3gdb on LINUXLIBC6?

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Fri Feb 29 18:18:15 CET 2008

Hmm.  I'm not sure what happens here.  It will be the same as the stock
gdb (6.4) from which m3gdb is derived.  I think it has a way of getting
debug info from separate files, but I have never used this.  The m3gdb
changes to gdb don't do anything about this.

I have, a few times, at intervals of two or three years,  forward ported
(back ported? what does one call this?) the Modula-3 changes into newer
gdb releases.  If there is something in the newest gdb that is really
needed, I can do that again, although when I last thought about it
(6.7), there was some target gdb had dropped that we still have in cm3.

Dragiša Durić wrote:
> During RPM building process, rpmbuild strips debug info and packs it
> separatelly. Is m3gbd recognizing this situation and using debug info
> in, for example:
>
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/local/cm3/bin/m3gdb.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/local/cm3/pkg/libm3/LINUXLIBC6/libm3.so.5.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/local/cm3/pkg/m3core/LINUXLIBC6/libm3core.so.5.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/local/cm3/pkg/parseparams/LINUXLIBC6/libm3parseparams.so.5.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/local/cm3/pkg/set/LINUXLIBC6/libset.so.5.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/local/cm3/pkg/tcp/LINUXLIBC6/libm3tcp.so.5.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/local/cm3/pkg/tempfiles/LINUXLIBC6/libTempFiles.so.5.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/local/cm3/pkg/udp/LINUXLIBC6/libUDP.so.5.debug
>
> TIA,
> dd
>
> On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 17:54 -0600, Rodney M. Bates wrote:
>
>>I have a long list of things to fix/improve in m3gdb, which I periodically
>>work on.  But it builds and runs for LINUXLIBC6 and does lots of useful thins.
>>
>>Just minutes ago, I happened to build it on a newly-installed Ubuntu, on
>>LINUXLIBC6 and it is working as expected.  For Ubuntu, I had to install
>>package libncurses5-dev (apt-get install libncurses-dev) to get it to
>>build.  do-cm3-std.sh did not build it.  I will check in my do-cm3-m3gdb.sh,
>>which is a convenient way to build it.
>>
>>There is currently an annoying new bug in displaying subrange values in
>>cm3-compiled code, that often incorrectly thinks the type's range is empty,
>>and then complains the value is out of range.  It does give you the numeric
>>value anyway.
>>
>>I have added lots of new stuff to the expression evaluation in the past few
>>years.  You can type unmangled, qualified names of variables and procedures,
>>execute procedure and method calls, etc.  Much of this is summarized in the
>>various checkin comments, which is, of course, not very handy as a way to
>>read up.  It has been on my list to write something up on this.
>>
>>As for other platforms, I don't have any around, and I'm not aware of anybody
>>trying it.
>>
>>Dragiša Durić wrote:
>>
>>>I am probably missing it, and few of my last runs had some problems...
>>>So - what is current state of m3gdb on LINUXLIBC6? Working? Under
>>>fixing?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>dd

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu