[M3devel] Modula-3 discussions

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Thu Feb 14 05:56:08 CET 2008

Hi all:
I think that all humans sometimes make mistakes (specially me :), is up to us try to solve them in the best way (I also think there is only one way).
I think I don't have enough patience to read the multiple emails Jay write some inspired days (believe me I sometimes don't like to see so many mails from the list even if they are written by Jay or not), however if I am considered and fraternal with all of you I must read it and if I can make some input/comment is a very good think to do it, I think they are very convenient, so for the purpose of a better arguing why we don't try to stay calm and try to understand that the comments of other people are valuable as our opinions are, and learn something important: hear other's opinions.

I understand that in a free software project there is always a leader, a head or a principal, maybe this is clear to some of you, but also there are others whom want to  make inputs to the development of the project.

So two discussions are very clear in the m3devel lasts posts: some of us like more C, some of us like more other languages and some of us like Modula3 as it is, but that doesn't imply that we must change our way of thinking just because we don't agree with some other opinions and the way of continue cm3 development (but we also can question ourselves).

We do use the mail for several good purposes but sometimes we forget a important issue: we are saying things to rest of the world that has access to this list, we are trying to get people more involved with the language environment and we don't want to loose users or developers, so it just doesn't matter  if we agree with all the opinions of them (I remember one user in the m3devel list some time ago wrote that he has some code and he want to publish it, but I can't fin id it at the moment).

I would like to know if It is very rare to try to migrate some part of the programming languages discussion on comp.lang.modula3 and the rest of the most related with cm3 development in m3devel list. Also if we have enough users to try to organize a Modula-3 user group meeting . For instance I know recent research work made by Laszlo Boeszoermenyi, I also can say that in our University (http://www.unal.edu.co) have been deloped in the last 7 years two projects with Modula-3 (one of control and automatization and one of cgi programming), also it was dictated several courses using Modula-3 (there is a set of slides that it's not published yet based on Laszlo's book, I hope this can be give to community if it is important).

Why don't try to spend some time making an index of such academic or research and commercial projects, people and institutions towards the benefit of the language developers and it's users. It existed on Michael Dagenais old m3 site a list of modula-3 contributors and enthusiasts:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020326115358/http://m3.polymtl.ca/m3/faq/who/
I don't know if it exists on elego source tree tough
Also update the acknowledgements of this url:
http://modula3.elegosoft.com/pm3/pkg/intro/src/ack.html

Well, I almost finishing this "inspired" email, I hope you enjoyed as me :)

Thanks you for all the discussion :) and work.

¿Con Mascota por primera vez? - Sé un mejor Amigo
Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas.