[M3devel] <*LAZYALIGN*>

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Tue Feb 19 03:00:36 CET 2008

Just to clarify: I don't believe anything existing has to break.  The
worst scenario I can see is that you would have to either simultaneously
upgrade the compiler, libm3, and libm3core (or else none of these) before
recompiling & linking any code that reads or writes pickles.  If libm3 and
libm3core are dynamically linked in at runtime, you would have to recompile
with an upgraded compiler at the same time as installing the upgraded
dynamic libraries.

Existing pickle files would not change.  Also, mixtures of programs thus
recompiled & linked and programs not recompiled/linked could exchange pickle
files.

Anything that (un)pickles records or objects that are LAZYALIGN would need
the upgrade to work, but such programs are already broken.

Randy Coleburn wrote:
> I use pickles extensively and they are used also by network objects.
> I've never used LAZYALIGN.
> My vote is that we don't break something (pickles/netobj) to add support
> for something that is rarely used.
> Regards,
> Randy

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu