[M3devel] new name for "reactor"

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Fri Jan 18 17:10:38 CET 2008

I thought I should ask for input from the community before finalizing the new name for "reactor."

One of the conditions imposed on making the "reactor" source available is that I have to rename the product and remove all trademarked references.

Originally, I chose the name "CM3-IDE" for CM3 Integrated Development Environment, but this name isn't very catchy.

I thought about possibly using the name "Catalyst" since a catalyst is something used to accelerate a process and "reactor" certainly fits this definition.  A brief search on the web turned up a some other uses of the name, but we may not have a problem if we don't try to trademark the name, or perhaps we could differentiate by calling it "CM3-Catalyst" or "M3-Catalyst".

For those that don't know, "reactor" uses a web browser to present its interface.  It allows you to quickly browse through all of your source code, create new packages, build and run programs, invoke your favorite editor, run tutorials, browse documentation, etc., etc.  With the advent of tabbed browsing, it really makes it nice to understand what is going on when examining your code and when writing code it makes it easy to look up interface definitions etc.

If anyone has suggestions on the name to use, please let me know.  I'd like to finalize the name within the next few days so I can finalize the code for submission to the repository.

Regards,
Randy Coleburn