[M3devel] "one more time before I give in" :)

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:45:43 CET 2008

Should the mingwin/msys method just be a configuration of NT386?
A command line option to cm3 and/or an environment variable?

The targets are nearly the same.
The difference just needs to be exposed somehow, so the config file can switch betwen two implementations of a few functions -- compile_c, m3_link, make_lib.
If Windows cminstall/src/config/NT386 and cminstall/src/config/NT386GNU, you see very very similar.

Maybe they vary just in BUILD_DIR? Or does that break things?Profiling changes BUILD_DIR so I figure it might be ok.
I tried making BUILD_DIR not readonly and setting it with cm3 -D, doesn't work.
It can probably be set conditionally in the config file based on another variable though, I'd have to check.

Besides, it might be nice for a notion of a set of build_dirs that are probed.
In particular, you might have some C or C++ code that uses GCC (or Microsoft) extensions.
That could also be handled by a different variable, like compile_with_gcc() and compile_with_msvc() in the m3makefile and then cm3 would switch between compile_gcc and compile_msvc instead of the usual compile_c functoin.

There is a high degree of interoperabilty between these two or even all three platforms.

Perhaps this is a can of worms though. Much potential utility but too complicated to think about?

Perhaps I too desperate to have fewer platforms?
I do need multiple build_dirs, like three, that is certain.