[M3devel] M3 concerns

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sat Jan 5 02:33:07 CET 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:04:47AM +0000, Jay wrote:
> I oppose most red tape.
>
> However branching can be good, as long as there are frequent merges
> (between once a week and once a month..well, those timelines are based
> on other contexts, in this context, I don't know) and automated
> testing/buildmonkeys/tinderboxes. That is, if I'm in a ghetto branch,
> I loose both the pressure not to break things, because few/nobody else
> is in the branch, and the feedback loop of hearing that I've broken
> someone, so automation would be nice to replace that.

Distributed revision systems have completely implicit, low red-tape
branching just by being distributed.

> I am not experienced with CVS though. I don't know how to setup or
> merge branches. Even browsing history I find painful, in one branch.
> Perforce I am quite familiar with.
> Subversion I learned enough about to know it doesn't suffice, so I'm
> leary of CVS, which is supposedly in all ways worse.

gravityboy (http://gravityboy.livejournal.com/39755.html) has a few
things to say about people who compare svn with cvs:  essentially, he
says cvs is so obsolete no one should even be comparing things with it
any more.  Saying something is better than CVS is like saying that
a new model of automatic washing machines work better than rocks by the
side of the river.