[M3devel] M3 concerns

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sat Jan 5 14:32:35 CET 2008

Discussions seem to loose their focus quiet easy on this list :-/

I'd strongly prefer if we could keep the discussion of alternative
version control systems out of this. It won't help us, and you can
trust this opinion as I really know many version control systems
(SCCS, RCS, CVS, Subversion, ClearCase, PVCS Dimensions, Perforce,
AccuRev, OpenCM, Vesta,...). I can assure you that CVS is quite
adequate for the simple purposes and requirements we have. Changing
will make things different, but not better, and cost a lot of efforts
we should rather invest into other topics.

I'd like to get back to the original topic. How do we need to improve
the CM3 development process to ensure and increase the overall quality
of the CM3 code base? Could everybody interested in this discussion
please just comment on the following items to state his opinion:

  o I think we have agreed on the fact that automatic regression testing
    would help and should be introduced. Tests should be run daily/nightly
    on as many platforms as possible, and results should be collected
    and made available via WWW (elego offers to host these services, as
    it does for CVS repositories and CM3 web access).

    Technical details should be discussed in a different thread.

  o Do we need / want to restrict the commit access for the CM3
    code repositories?

    If so, only for certain areas, or for everything? This would
    be a distinction based on packages.

    Should we allow or prefer committing new code to branches and
    merge the resulting change sets based on reviews? (I could also
    contribute automatic support for creating change sets on branches,
    as this is part of the DCVS functionality elego developed some time
    ago). This would be a distinction based on code lines.

    Yesterday I had the impression that some members of this list
    would prefer some access restriction, but I'm not really sure.

  o I'm not sure if and how we should include the Windows target
    problems here. They were part of the original mail, but seem
    to belong to another category to me, at least have different
    causes. Suggestions what exactly to discuss are welcome.

  o To reach a conclusion on these topics, I suggest that we simply
    count the majority of opinions of list members that care to
    participate in this discussion. I'll try to summarize again after
    everybody has had time for consideration and has spoken up (or
    remained silent). I'd suggest to continue the discussion for the
    following week.

Please try to keep comments short :-)

Olaf