[M3devel] M3 concerns

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Sun Jan 6 02:59:23 CET 2008

"Randy Coleburn" writes:

>> Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 01:13:35 +0100
>> From: wagner at elegosoft.com
>> To: hosking at cs.purdue.edu; m3devel at elegosoft.com
>> CC: m3-support at elegosoft.com
>> Subject: Re: [M3devel] M3 concerns
>>
>> Quoting Tony Hosking <hosking at cs.purdue.edu>:
>>
>> > My comments embedded:

>system
>either.
>most
>haven't
>helpful
>> >
>> > LONGINT = INTEGER on Windows, which is fine as far as it goes
>> > (everything builds appropriately), but not particularly useful.
>>
>> I know that it should run this way, but pickles for example wouldn't
>> be exchangeable then, would they? Has anybody tested pickle support
>> for LONGINT yet?

Well, I think this depends on exactly what you (not sure who said
this originally) mean by "LONGINT = INTEGER".  What you say is true
if indeed LONGINT and INTEGER are the same type.  If, however, they
are different types (as they should be), which just happen to be
of the same size (on Windows/i386), there should be no problem.
The Pickle library (at least ver. 2) transparently performs endianness
reordering and word-size adjustments.  (Pickles *should* be
exchangeable between 32- and 64-bit architectures, for example, and
between big-endian sparcs and little-endian i386s and alphas---this
latter property I use to exchange pickles between PPC_DARWIN and
FreeBSD4.)  Of course, have all the proper hooks been called to
enable this?  I don't know, I just know it's definitely possible
to set things up so that Pickles are exchangeable even under these
conditions.

     Mika