[M3devel] FW: my status on win32

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 01:29:19 CET 2008

darnit something keeps truncating my email.

From: jayk123 at hotmail.comTo: wagner at elegosoft.comCC: rcoleburn at scires.com; m3devel at elegosoft.comSubject: RE: [M3devel] my status on win32Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:03:18 +0000

Ok, that shuts me up well. I will continue to party in the *.py files and mostly avoid the *.sh files.  And then, still, *.cmd vs. *.py? I suspect the answer is "The Windows folks, Jay being the most vocal/active at the moment, can do what they want" (which is partly why I am here -- to be in the "partially independent minority". :) )I stopped reading usenet years ago but from time to time wonder if it might be "useful". I have at least two problems with using Modula-3 here but I might be somewhat or wrong or very wrong. 1) I have been unable to aquire a taste for it. 2) What about bootstrapping? This is a more general and relevant question that I have.  >>>> From what version are you expected to be able to boot what version? Is it ok for merely version n to only be bootrappable, or upgradable, from version n (for upgrade) or n - 1 (bootstrap)?Or downgrade from anything > n?"Version n" isn't even well defined..or is that because I don't know about pkgtags? Any increased dependency on Quake worries me here, until I understand this. Yet, unless you can be clever and a) make all new things optional b) write all new things in both M3 and Quake, or M3 and SH, or M3 and whatever, forward progress is entirely blocked in Quake, and that probably can't be the right answer. Arguably either way -- required changes must be possible at any point in the stack at any time. Nothing is unchangable. Don't go crazy. Don't change things for no reason. But if a change is needed, it can be done. OR, alternatively, some things really cannot be changed, as they would require rewriting all or at least a whole heck of a lot of code. The world is round, and that cannot change, until such time as the world is gone, and all of us with it, for example. Modula-3 files have the extensions .m3 and .i3. I could be wrong, but there will never ever be a reason to change that, for example. I can bootstrap on Windows from 5.1.3.I have 4.1 and 3.6 but haven't tried yet.I believe 3.6 won't work since I /think/ cm3 uses WIDECHAR or such.3.6 definitely still "works" on its own, nice.I am not sure there is any point to those exercises.Having them working independently may be useful for comparison and history, but that is different than booting.  - Jay

[snip, deliberate]