[M3devel] environment variable names?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 04:29:11 CET 2008

Approximately one of these I introduced an therefore might not be in the *.sh.Otherwise I believe these are all NOT my invention, and supported same/similarfor *.sh and *.py. *.cmd lags behind maybe.
CM3_ROOT or ROOT is the root of the sourcescripts figures this out basedDOes anyone mind that it doesn't say "SOURCE", e.g. CM3_SOURCE_ROOT?
I just introduced this recently:  OPTIONALLY there is one generic cm3.cfg, m3-sys\cminstall\src\config\cm3.cfg,  that delegates back to the live configuration files in that same directory.  That file cannot determine this itself.  If you cd around and run cm3, without using do-pkg etc., and you use this new  cm3.cfg, you need to set CM3_ROOT or ROOT.
CM3_INSTALL or INSTALLROOT are the root of the installed CM3.  DOes any mind that the first one doesn't say "ROOT"?  e.g. CM3_INSTALL_ROOT?
CM3_TARGET or TARGET  The target, duh.  cm3.cfg sniffs this if $OS == NT386, otherwise not.
Does any else mind that such generic global environment variables are queried?   ROOT, INSTALLROOT, TARGET?
It SEEMS TO ME, the ideal choices would be: CM3_INSTALL_ROOT CM3_SOURCE_ROOT or maybe just CM3_ROOT asis, hey, source is king, source is implied CM3_TARGET
and no others. The Quake/.sh/.py code can use whatever it wants internally.
It should probably just be left alone but I have to express my perfectionist opinion. :)

I am tempted to drop the shorter names from the *.py though, which does make *.py
and *.sh a bit less compatible.

The scripts could/should also copy one to other for compat (esp. with older builds),
reducing any affect here, but that saves people from polluting their global environment at least.

??