[M3devel] platform/build_dir is a big tuple?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Jan 23 08:06:20 CET 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Randy Coleburn wrote:

> Jay:
>
> For my part on Windows, I am happy to stay with the underlying OS, the
> native windows threading, the integrated backend, and use the free
> Microsoft Visual Studio tools.  I don't really want to have to
> install/use cygwin or any of the other variants.  When I see target =
> NT386, this list is what I am expecting.  For the cm3 newbie coming from
> a Microsoft Windows environment, I think this list would be the most
> appealing and pose the least barrier to getting starting.  Yes, I still
> will work on the installer program once I'm satisfied that I have a good
> working cm3 on Windows.

One year ago I was in the situation to port one of my Modula-3 programs
from Linux to Windows in order to hand it over to a Windows user. As I
never use Windows, I have only a plain Windows installation on my machine
with almost no tools other than cm3. I was glad to be able to run cm3
immediately and to find all libraries that I needed in binary form without
Cygwin dependencies - otherwise not only I had to install that on my
machine but I also would have to persuade the other Windows guy to install
it as well. Summarized I strongly vote for NT386 being Windows with least
dependencies on other packages.