[M3devel] new problem on NT386

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Wed Jan 23 22:37:53 CET 2008

Olaf:

I grabbed the new QMachine via cvs and rebuilt & shipped the m3quake
package, then rebuilt reactor (now cm3_ide) to take advantage of it.  I
replaced the exec calls with cm3_exec().

At first glance, things were working better in that the output is now
going back to the browser.  Great!

But, when I tried to compile a simple "HelloWorld" program, I ran into
some errors.  See attached PDF file.  Does any of this make sense to
you?

Note that this same HelloWorld program was compiling before the
QMachine change, its just that the output went to the wrong window.

Regards,
Randy

Quoting Randy Coleburn <rcoleburn at scires.com>:

> Olaf:
>
> THANKS!  It is obvious that these changes to QMachine are
responsible
> for the problems.  It would have taken me forever to find this.
Thanks
> so much!
>
> I changed the quake procedures to use "&&" instead of "|" and the
> build/ship routines seem to work again.  Indeed, I even went back
and
> put the comment back in Jay's cm3.cfg and it still works without
> crashing in M3Path.  This is very good!
>
> Now, I am not real good at parsing thru these text diff files, but am
> seeing there was also a change to QMachine that involves how the
output
> is being redirected?
>
> What I am observing in reactor, is that the build/ship/clean/etc
output
> is not being shown in the browser window.  Since these functions are
> being called via a quake procedure, if the QMachine has been altered
> somehow not to allow this output to be redirected, then reactor is
going
> to have a real problem.  The output of these quake routines is
showing
> up in the console log window instead of being redirected back to the
> browser as it was in 4.1 and 5.2.6.

Randy,

I've added compatibilit procedures that should show the old
(queer) behaviour: cm3_exec and try_cm3_exec. The semantics were
changed in this commit:

revision 1.5
date: 2005-10-17 21:00:36 +0000;  author: rillig;  state: Exp;  lines:
+4 -20;
Don't pass the stdout and stderr from child processes through quake.
This makes the quake code simpler and also allows the user to redirect
the stdout and the stderr to different files. Before, the stdout and
stderr had been merged by quake and then printed on stdout.

I think the main goal of the quake changes was to make CM3 and PM3
compatible; but this now seems to break the old Reactor code.
So try if cm3_exec instead of just exec will cure your problem.

You'll have to rebuild the m3quake package of course.

Olaf
                Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25 / Gebäude 12, 13355 Berlin,
Germany
phone: +49 30 23 45 86 96  mobile: +49 177 2345 869  fax: +49 30 23 45
86 95
    http://www.elegosoft.com ( http://www.elegosoft.com/ ) |
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin
Handelregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 77719 | USt-IdNr:
DE163214194