[M3devel] minimal binary d5.5.0 fails on Ubuntu 7.10

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Jan 24 16:34:03 CET 2008

Quoting Mika Nystrom <mika at async.caltech.edu>:

> I think this is the broken cm3.cfg .
>
> Search for -g in cm3.cfg and replace it with -gstabs+
>
> This thing bites a lot!  I think it got me twice to the extent that
> I had to ask this mailing list.  Several other times that it had
> me scratching my head and then thinking "oh it's that cm3.cfg thing
> again..."

The problem here is that dwarf debugging format which was in wide use
seems to be discontinued and now produces segmentation faults if
used with gcc or at least cm3cg :-/ Perhaps it's just nor correctly
supported in the CM3 gcc backend.

There's another possibility for `wrong' update: it does not suffice
to run do-cm3-core.sh, you probably need to perform a full upgrade
with scripts/upgrade.sh.

> cm3.cfg in general is pretty weird.  I know the compiler looks
> in at least two places for it.  (Undocumented behavior.)

The compiler looks

  o based on an environment variable ((C)M3CONFIG?)
  o in the current directory
  o in the directory where the cm3 binary resides

IIRC.

Olaf