[M3devel] INSTALL_ROOT and PKG_USE in cm3.cfg

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 01:24:08 CET 2008

Blech. My way is more automatic and "portable" in the sense that you can move installations around and they keep working. As well, with my way, you just extract an archive and go, no setup/cminstall, no editing of the cm3.cfg file, just set %PATH% and run vcvars, and vcvars I think I can remove the need for.

path() is a builtin Quake function that returns the directory of the currently being run Quake code.

But yet Reactor.
To unblock yourself, remove my code, add back the commented out, fix the path to match your particular install, don't submit the file.

Perhaps move the current checked in file over to the config-no-install directory and then put config's file back in the old style, that requires running cminstall. My workflow will keep working, since it probes for config-no-install first.

 - Jay

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:53:48 -0500From: rcoleburn at scires.comTo: jay123 at hotmail.comCC: m3devel at elegosoft.comSubject: [M3devel] INSTALL_ROOT and PKG_USE in cm3.cfg

Jay:

The cm3.cfg that comes with your minimal binary installation on Windows (NT386) has the following lines:

% INSTALL_ROOT = BEGIN_CONFIG%   "Where should CM3 be installed?"%     7 %-- user specified install root% END_CONFIG

% INSTALL_ROOT = "c:\\cm3"

if not defined("INSTALL_ROOT")    if not equal ($INSTALLROOT, "")        INSTALL_ROOT = $INSTALLROOT    else        INSTALL_ROOT = (path() & "\\..")    endend

BIN_INSTALL   = INSTALL_ROOT & "\\bin"          % executablesLIB_INSTALL   = INSTALL_ROOT & "\\lib"          % librariesPKG_INSTALL   = INSTALL_ROOT & "\\pkg"          % packagesDOC_INSTALL   = INSTALL_ROOT & "\\doc"          % documentsEMACS_INSTALL = INSTALL_ROOT & "\\elisp"        % emacs lisp codeMAN_INSTALL   = INSTALL_ROOT & "\\man"          % man pagesHTML_INSTALL  = INSTALL_ROOT & "\\www"          % public hypertext

%% On some systems (e.g. AFS) you must install public files in a different% place from where you use them.  If that is the case for your system,% specify the "use" location here, otherwise leave them alone.%%USE_ROOT  = INSTALL_ROOTBIN_USE   = BIN_INSTALL   % executablesLIB_USE   = LIB_INSTALL   % librariesPKG_USE   = PKG_INSTALL   % packages

Notice that the lines for INSTALL_ROOT and USE_ROOT are commented out.

The Reactor program is coded to grab several variables out of cm3.cfg.  For example,

    build_dir       := M3Config.Get ("BUILD_DIR");    system_root     := M3Config.Get ("PKG_USE");    doc_root        := M3Config.Get ("DOC_INSTALL");    initial_browser := M3Config.Get ("INITIAL_CM3_IDE_BROWSER");    initial_editor  := M3Config.Get ("INITIAL_CM3_IDE_EDITOR");
What is happening on my installation is that PKG_USE winds up being "\..\PKG".  This is not a valid path and it is causing all sorts of trouble for Reactor.

The reason it is getting set this way is that the ELSE branch of the, if not defined("INSTALL_ROOT"), is getting executed resulting in INSTALL_ROOT=\..

I'm not sure why this is coded this way.

How do you suggest this should be repaired?

Note, I have not checked all of the cm3.cfg variants for the other target platforms, but in order for reactor to work properly, it must be able to find a valid "PKG_USE" in the cm3.cfg.

Regards,
Randy