[M3devel] nt386gnu threads?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:27:19 CET 2008

> > platforms -- surely \ never occurs anyway on Unix... :)> > Not sure: can \ be used as an escape in file names?

Escaping? At the libc/kernel level? Are you serious?
I assume they are taken literally and either accepted or rejected.
I can try some stuff later.

But, even if they are accepted literally, nobody uses them.
FURTHERMORE, there is way too much low level parsing of paths.
It's a big huge mess. They should probably be parsed into a
higher level for internal manipulation and then regurgiated into
an external form for the lower level APIs and for human display.
Of course, abstraction abstraction abstraction show me the real thing already. :)
 > I think NT386GNU always used Win32 threads.

I think not, but nobody has really said anything with certainty.
I am not placing bets either way.

I have the PM3 source from Elegosoft locally, simple cvs checkout.
I haven't built it.
It doesn't show much sign of using native Win32 threads, but I realize
building the source and looking at the binaries is much more conclusive
than reading the source.

As well, what is PM3-Klagenfurt compard to what I am looking at?
Should I go and get its source?

And, what matters anyway?
I think this Cygwin port is going to be mostly garbage anyway, and using pthreads does enhance the garbage somewhat what with pthread_once and pthread_cond, that NT doesn't have until Vista (sigh).

Oh..I am remembering why it matters. Direct Win32 threads would be nice but you'd have to weed out other stuff, the dependency from the File APIs to the threading library.

Once thie "port" is working and available, maybe someone else who actually uses it can improve it? (Bueller?)
I'd like to get back to adding longint support to the integrated backend and possibly bringing up other targets..
I mean, heck, I'm no big user/fan of Unix, but running Unix natively has got to be better than this mismash..

And the pixmap bug, and the set regression test.. :)