[M3devel] what platforms/architectures interest people?

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Thu Jan 31 23:56:05 CET 2008

Jay:
The platforms I use most for Modula-3 are Windows (NT/2000/XP) and HP-UX.  I also may have occasion to use SPARC and Solaris.  Of course, the list will change over time.
Regards,
Randy

>>> Jay <jayk123 at hotmail.com> 1/31/2008 2:31 PM >>>
This is getting way ahead of things, but I was wondering what platforms/architectures interest folks?

 *_NETBSD  (maybe NBSD for short?)
 *_OPENBSD (OBSD?)
 *_FREEBSD (FBSD?)
 MIPS_*
 SH_*
 ARM_* (there is some ARM stuff)
 ALPHA_*
 IA64_*
 AMD64_*
 *_WINCE (mainly ARM, but many possible -- x86, MIPS, PPC, SH)
 X86_DJGPP ??
SPARC_LINUX ??
SPARC_*BSD ??

Personally I only have PPC, x86, and AMD64 hardware, all laptops, and the rest aren't available in laptops afaik (ok, WINCE devices are small).
I'd be willing to try PPC_*BSD, X86_*BSD|SOLARIS, AMD64_LINUX|NT|SOLARIS.
Itanium 1 hardware is under $500 on eBay, Itanium 2 under $1000. Far from a laptop but slightly tempting in terms of aggressive porting. At least they run Windows. :)

Or is everything pretty dead by now but x86 and AMD64? (other than cell phones, hand helds, game consoles).

I was also think expanding the use of the integrated backend would be interesting.

 - Jay

Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more. ( http://biggestloser.msn.com/ )