[M3devel] need help with cm3 problem before I deliver software this week

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Thu Jul 31 04:31:01 CEST 2008

Hi Olaf, Daniel, Rodney, et al:
Thanks for your responses so far.  Sorry for the delay in replying, but
our email server has been offline for nearly 24-hours.  There were some
severe electrical storms that took down both redundant power systems for
our email system.  Hope I have not missed any of your replies.
Right now, I am delivering the software on Windows XP using SP2 or
greater.  I have not tried to see if this problem also occurs on Unix. 
I don't have ready access to a unix system from my current location.
So it is perhaps a Windows-only problem with Trestle/FormsVBT.  In any
event, it is a real problem for me.
As for the pixmap stretching problem, I have tested various resolutions
on the customer's computer.  Unfortunately, the customer demands that
the display resolution stay at the 1920x1200.
1920x1200=pixmap stretch problem
1680x1050=pixmap stretch problem
1440x900=no problem
1024x768=no problem

>>> Olaf Wagner <wagner at elegosoft.com> 7/30/2008 2:24 AM >>>
Quoting Randy Coleburn <rcoleburn at scires.com>:

> Hi:
> I've been using cm3 to develop software I am delivering this week to 

>  a customer.  During the acceptance testing, we've run into a  
> problem  that I have not been able to solve.  I am hoping someone in 

> the cm3  community can help.  I need to solve this problem ASAP this 

> week.
> This problem is easily reproduced using the "formsedit" program.
> The problem is with the TypeIn and TypeScript FormsVBT elements used 

>  in my program.  Since formsedit uses these, you can easily  
> reproduce  the problem.
> Click with the mouse to move the insertion point somewhere in the   
> text.  Observe that the cursor moves to that point.  Now, use the   
> left arrow key to move the insertion point a few characters to the  

> left.  Then, type a few characters.  Observe that the first   
> character you type shows up at the place where you initially moved  

> the cursor with the mouse, while the remaining characters show up at 

>  the place where you moved the cursor via the left-arrow key.  This  

> behavior is wrong.  The first character you type should be at the   
> current insertion point, not at the one from the mouse move.


I just rebuilt the CM3 GUI libraries and formsedit, but I wasn't able
to reproduce the problem on FreeBSD 6.3.

Does the problem show up on all platforms you are working on?
Which are these?

Are there any local modifications to the libraries which I may not

If it occurs only on Unix, it may be possible that a weird window
manager interferes with the event delivery; otherwise I've got no
good idea. If on Unix, you/we could perhaps test the behaviour
on a different (remote) X display?

Please provide more data about the problem context and how to
reproduce it.



> I'm sure the fix is easy, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.  

>  It probably has to do with the internal idea of the insertion point 

>  not getting updated properly.  Note that the cursor on the screen  
> is  in the right spot, it's just that the first character gets  
> inserted  into the TypeIn or TypeScript in the wrong place (i.e., it 

> is put at  the place from the mouse move, not from the last arrow  
> key move).
> Any assistance you can provide is very much appreciated and will go  

> a long way toward keeping Modula-3 use alive and well for this   
> project.  If we can't fix this one, the customers will want to   
> re-code everything in some Microsoft language, probably C++ or C#.
> I also have one other strange anomaly, but it is less of an issue at 

>  the moment.  On a Dell M4300 laptop at 1920x1200 resolution, all   
> pixmaps are getting stretched vertically.  Text seems to be fine as  

> do HBox, Rim, Frame, etc., but pixmaps get vertically stretched out  

> of proportion.  This problem has not happened on all other platforms 

>  I've tested, (e.g. Lenovo T60 at 1024x768 and 2048x1024, IBM G40 at 

>  1400x1050, etc.).  Any ideas on what could be the issue?  I know   
> that 1920x1200 is a strange resolution, but it is the native   
> resolution for the M4300 laptop computer that the customer is using. 

>   I checked and the computer is set for 96dpi (normal).  Perhaps   
> there is some Trestle setting that I need to tweak on this platform, 

>  or perhaps there is a bug that needs fixing.
> Regards,
> Randy Coleburn
> Senior Systems Engineer
> Scientific Research Corporation

Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH
                Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25 / Gebäude 12, 13355 Berlin,
phone: +49 30 23 45 86 96  mobile: +49 177 2345 869  fax: +49 30 23 45
86 95
    http://www.elegosoft.com | Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz:
Handelregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 77719 | USt-IdNr:

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://m3lists.elegosoft.com/pipermail/m3devel/attachments/20080730/d82af4ca/attachment-0002.html>

More information about the M3devel mailing list