[M3devel] function pointers and comparison to nil? mis-typed function pointers?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 1 03:40:42 CEST 2008

 > In Modula-3, you can pass any procedure but only assign a top-level procedure. > This precludes dangling environments in yet another way, that is more liberal > than either Pascal or Modula-2,, but requires a runtime check on procedure
I don't understand "can only assign a top-level procedure".
My understanding is that Modula-3 does allow the "unsafe" option -- take the address of a nested function, pass it off to some code, that stores it in a global, and call it later. But of course, "Modula-3 does allow the unsafe option" does not compute. I need to read up and experiment.

Maybe there is a runtime check whenever I assign a function pointer to either a global or to a field in non-local record, that it isn't a closure?
That makes a fair amount of sense though hard to not make the check overly strict I think.

Rodney my "problem" with your analysis is it mostly "pretends" that each language is its own independent environment.
In present reality at least, Modula-3 and C interoperate a lot. That is largely a good thing. It does place restrictions on Modula-3 implementations however.
Pointers to top-level Modula-3 functions can be passed to C and treated as pointers to C functions.
Pointers to C functions, including gcc nested functions, can be passed to Modula-3 code as pointers.
There are not separate types for pointers to C vs. Modula-3 functions.
Pointers to nested Modula-3 functions cannot be passed to C code and treated as C function pointers, though enabling this, with the programmer required to notice the situation and change the code slightly, is easy enough. The compiler might also be able to recognize it and possibly error, at least if "extern" is presumed to be C, though of course..insert one level of Modula-3 code between "taking the address" and "passing it to C", and it becomes more difficult..but maybe still quite easy.

If the whole world was Modula-3, then you could just change the representation of all function pointers and how they are called.

The strategy of optionally heap allocated frames -- when the address is taken of a nested function -- does kill multiple birds with one expensive stone.
   - ability to pass function pointers to nested functions to C code, and store them anywhere
   - ability to call nested functions after their caller has returned
   - remove the check for the -1 marker which might possibly maybe just barely be unportable, and also slows down/bloats calls to function pointers (but at the cost of probably a more sever slow down)
   - avoid the use of generated code on the stack
       - still need to ensure the heap is executable but that's less of a problem, Windows for example at least exposes the ability to make the heap executable, besides the strategy of using VirtualAlloc.

However it slows down existing code.

Depending on which of these features is desirable, if in fact any at all, there are other options.
  - leave it all alone (but continue talking about it :) )
  - put the code on the stack and call mprotect/VirtualProtect, as OpenBSD does for gcc nested functions

 - Jay