[M3devel] Regression tests

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Mar 3 12:29:04 CET 2008

After noticing that some more external test results begin to appear
in the CM3 tinderbox, I'd like to point out again the differences
between the `lastok build' and `release build' tests.

`lastok build' tests include simply building the complete standard set
of packages with an already installed CM3. They indicate that

  o all standard packages compile

  o no imcompatibilities have been introduced since the last test
    (which would require a more sophisticated compiler bootstrap)

`release build' tests include the following:

  o a compiler upgrade based on the last release (currently 5.4.0)
    including (a) two stage bootstrap and (b) forced configuration
    upgrade via cminstall

  o running of the m3-sys/m3tests test suite (compiler and runtime)
    --> shipping of the test report to www.opencm3.net

  o complete build of all packages (based on scripts/pkginfo.txt) and
    running of package tests
    --> shipping of build and test report to www.opencm3.net

  o building of binary distribution archives and their
    --> shipping to www.opencm3.net

  o generating the complete package documentation with m3tohtml

`release build' will be extended as needed with further tests and
archive generation etc.

Personally, I don't think we need to run `lastok build' on all
target platforms, but we should run `release build' on as many
platforms as possible in order to have all the different test
results listed above available.

The explaining texts on the tinderbox page should probably be
improved, too :-)

Olaf