[M3devel] blue sky proposal :)

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Sat Mar 22 14:17:48 CET 2008

Now that VM mechanism is fully obsoleted by Mr. Hoskings GC... Why would
not we make something like this...

<* READONLY object *>  - to move object to VM protected pages of traced
heap, so we can have RuntimeError.E when some code tries to write into
object

<* WRITEABLE object *> - to return it back to normal traced heap pages

Pragmas... Can be ignored by non-compatible compiler, and totally are
not changing language semantics. They just offer great debugging tool
and help us define/enforce some static properties of our structures.

This, of course, is something for GC people to do...  As I see current
situation (as deep as I went into it) it will not affect performance at
all, and it will (IMHO) help straighten GC code even more :).

dd
--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>