[M3devel] Whitespace checkins

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Mon Mar 17 15:15:20 CET 2008

In principle I agree with everything you say for code *as it is
edited* for meaningful improvements, but removing whitespace just for
the fun (?) of it makes tracking meaningful changes a little more
difficult.

On Mar 17, 2008, at 4:35 AM, Jay wrote:

> Tony, Can you use diff -w or diff -b?

Sure, I can, but I have to type an extra "-w".  ;-)

> Can the derivatives be cleaned up?

Derivatives?

> I'll volunteer.
>
> It'd be nice to get rid of
>  whitespace at ends of lines
>  all tabs
>  overly indented "END", like I sometimes see on records.

Other than white-space It's all a matter of style I guess.  Most of
this code was written in emacs which defaults tabs equivalent to 8
spaces.  Yes, I know other editors do 4-space tabs.  Modula-3 mode in
emacs indents using spaces instead of tabs.

> The Modula-3 codebase isn't so large as to make this infeasible,
> even if that extends to the PM3 copy.

True.

> My editor uses 4 space tabs and a fair amount of code with tabs
> assumes 8. It'd be nice just to get rid of them.

Agreed.