[M3devel] random-acces I/O

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Mar 20 17:41:12 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 04:42:05PM -0400, Randy Coleburn wrote:
> Hendrik:
>
> I did a quick check of what I have available in this area.
>
> I've attached the .i3 files for four modules.  (These probably have
> Windows-style line endings, so you may have to convert for Unix.)
>
> Let me know if any of these are what you are looking for.  I can
> probably arrange to get you the source for the modules and/or put them
> in the elegosoft repository.
>
> If you can be more specific about exactly what you are looking for, I
> can check further to see if I have something else.

No, these are not what I'm looking for.  From the original post for this
thread:

I need to do direct-access I/O from a Modula 3 program with a file
format that is externally specified.  It is necessary to both read and
write in random fashion during a run of the program, prefereably without
having to close or open the file each time.

Now Linux will do this, so what I actually *need* is just the "C"
interfaces to the standard C library.  The hard part is to integrate
it with the readers and writers -- probably hard only if I'm
actually going to figure out where it fits in the inheritance
hierarchy of in/out things.  What surprises me is that the Modula 3
distribution doesn't seem to have this already.

Just to get on with my project, I can probably make do with writing "C"
interfaces to the raw Linux I'O system.

By the way, smarteiffel seems to be just as deficient.  It's as if
language designers never encounter database implementers.

-- hendrik