[M3devel] possible cygwin createprocess/fork cost measurements..

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:25:00 CET 2008

I understand, but it need not be this way.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-05/msg00318.html

GCC is the last compiler I'm using that doesn't have an integrated object file generator. It's way pasttime to integrate BFD, opcodes, etc. or whatever other solution to replace this generate-text-and-pipe-it-to-the-assembler '70s technology.That means one less thing on the host that may not match GCC's expectations. (e.g. AltiVec register names and the host assemblers)

- Jay

CC: wagner at elegosoft.com; m3devel at elegosoft.com

[snip]
gcc itself is a top-level driver program that generates as and forks an as.   I don't think it's possible to do what you suggest.