[M3devel] new NT386GNU releases

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 20:46:20 CET 2008

I moved these away to "funny" names..that don't show on the web page oops..and replaced them with archives that use Win32 naming conventions (foo.lib, foo.lib.sa, foo.exe, foo.dll). Switching this stuff around is pretty quick and easy.

Olaf, I'm using 140meg of diskspace in /var/www/modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archivesMaybe should a) prune out older archives b) see about making "std" smaller, such as not including all the static .libs, like maybe just m3core.lib.sa and libm3.core.sa in order to build cm3 and mklib. Maybe not making all the static .libs by default as well. Maybe stripping all/many/most of the binaries too. I like having symbols, but most of them go unused most of the time, and they aren't hard to regenerate, as long as you have a consistent repro and don't have to debug something that is "precious".

I think I'll try deleting all *.lib.sa files except m3core.lib.sa/libm3core.sa -- whatever mklib and cm3 use.
And sysutils.
Those three files can be crucial in bootstrapping, when an older compiler can't build a newer runtime, but can build a newer compiler, as was the case recently.
The native NT386 archives I make are similarly bloated, and even the cminstall archives might be?

btw, these are my form of archive. There is no cminstall and nested archive. They extract to cm3-min-posix-5.2.7\bin\cm3.exe and such, which you can then rename or copy into \cm3\bin\cm3.exe or /usr/local/bin/cm3.exe or whatnot, and the config files should just work for pretty much any configuration, as well, you should be able to edit cm3.cfg by just one line to retarget to any of the three NT386/NT386GNU/NT386MINGNU targets, as long as you have the appropriate C build environment setup.

Any chance anyone is going to ever use this stuff? :)

 - Jay

From: jayk123 at hotmail.comTo: m3devel at elegosoft.comSubject: new NT386GNU releasesDate: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:08:45 +0000

http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives=> http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-std-POSIX-NT386GNU-d5.7.0.tar.bz2 http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-POSIX-NT386GNU-d5.7.0.tar.bz2This is the first with X Windows stuff. - Jay