[M3devel] in search of decent editor for Mac/Linux?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 11:33:50 CEST 2008

Does anyone know of an IDE or editor on Linux or Mac OS Xwith a find-in-files feature anywhere nearly as goodas Visual C++ 5.0?
I have tried a bunch and they have all been disappointing.
It is very frustrating.
Monodevelop comes close, but it won't open .m3 files as text.
KDevelop -- can't navigate the results with the keyboard. I would prefer file path on every line, but ok I guess.
X Code -- no find-in-files feature at all that I could find!
NetBeans -- I forget, will have to try again, but I believe I was disappointed.
Eclipse -- ditto
Komodo -- promising, will have to try some more  I think maybe only forward nav through results, but ok  will have to see what the cost is
JEdit -- I think it was this one, showed no results  until done. Results should appear as they are found.
Mac TextWrangler -- way too hard to specify directories to search in  as I recall, I forget if has keyboard nav.

MPW -- never seemed much good at all, despite avid following;
  doesn't run on current processors or operating systems, but it
  still works on mine

I'll have to again try:  NetBeans, Eclipse, Komodo, CodeWarrior, SlickEdit, search for other commercial ones.
  Though commercial ones won't tend to run on PPC_LINUX.
vi and emacs are not under consideration.I have tried them each many times and they are alwaysvery disappointing.
A really good file.open dialog would be nice too.
KDevelop is annoying in that it often beeps an error if I type a directory -- to go to it. It is case sensitive.
All the file.open dialogs I have seen on the Mac stink.
What do people use to actually be productive?Everything I've tried hasn't come close to Visual C++ 5.0.