[M3devel] cstdio.i3?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sun May 25 08:42:35 CEST 2008

I'm wondering about Cstdio.i3..

It bugs me to see duplicated code/declarations, code I can't easily verify the correctness of, code that duplicates internal details either that aren't necessary and/or are subject to change (ie: it *might* be useful to know the size of a FILE, but knowing the internal makeup is not generally useful, as well the size can be abstracted away behind a tiny bit of portable C), etc.

interface Cstdio seems

- almost not used at all within the "std" packages
I realize folks out there with other code could be using it.
The only use I see is related to the next:

 - to offer little in the way of a portable interface
About the main portable thing is presents is that there is a type FILE_star, though even that isn't quite universial across them all; conceptually it is of course
However, a medium sized very portable interface is easy to expose, though it isn't necessarily easy to make much use of.

So:
 - do nothing?
 - reduce it all down to just a common two-liner TYPE FILE = RECORD END; FILE_star = UNTRACED REF FILE ?
 - bulk it up slightly to a very portable (target-independent) interface?
   NT386/Cstdio.i3 is close to what that would be.

And no, I'm not forgetful. I know I brought this up a few months ago when I introduced NT386/Cstdio.i3.

Does anyone find the knowledge built up in the myriad Cstdio.i3 files useful?
One thing to do is leave all the per-platform files but not put them in the m3makefile, only actually compile the two line or medium sized portable version.

 ?