[M3devel] a bunch of new/old platform names?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Oct 12 11:51:03 CEST 2008

I plan on soon bringing "back" some old ports -- building current archives -- and bring up some new ports.

Specifically I have hardware: RS/6000 (PPC64/AIX), SGI (MIPS), SPARC64, plus the usual x86/AMD64.

Two of the platforms did exist.

In particular, "MIPS_IRIX" is "IRIX5".
  Reuse IRIX5, or introduce MIPS_IRIX?

PPC_AIX is IBMR2 or such.
  Same question.

Also, must versions really be in platform names?
I'm loathe to add a third dimension to the matrix.
I did just note that FreeBSD 7.0 64 bit is ABI-incompatible with FreeBSD 6.3 64 bit, lame.

SGI claims good ABI across all the 6.5 releases, which is all there will be now.
IBM claims good 32 bit ABI compat across AIX 4.x - 6.x and good 64 bit ABI compat across 5.x and 6.x, but incompatibility from 64 bit 4.x.
(Microsoft has always been good here, but "behavioral" compat is the actual tricky issue.)

And, what do folks think about putting "32" in new 32 bit platform names?

I'm considering the following:
  MIPS32_{IRIX,LINUX,OPENBSD,NETBSD}
  MIPS64_IRIX (6.5)
  SPARC{32,64}_{LINUX,*BSD}(probably no SPARC32_*BSD actually, and SPARC32_LINUX is already in, but not building regularly)
  {SPARC64,I386,AMD64}_SOLARIS
  PPC{32,64}_AIX
    (PPC64_LINUX is blocked, Linux has problems booting on the hardware and I have no Mac G5 yet).
 AMD64_*BSD

Also, maybe some of the code should be restructured to separate processor from OS?
That might be primarily only pointer size.

Any interest in "x86" instead of "I386"?

If I make good progress against those 18 (!), I can see about PPC64_DARWIN, HPPA_*, IA64_*, ALPHA_*, ARM_*, which I lack hardware for. PPC_LINUX also should be converted to pthreads imho.
Mostly this is all just a matter of installing the OS and configuring gcc.

And, yeah, I have the two m3cgs stepping side by side to find the problem there, and will have use of a high dpi Windows laptop for that other problem..

And then of course, if the vast majority of platforms are named like that, there might be pressure to bring the rest in line. :) I386_{NT,LINUX,*BSD,CYGWIN,MINGWIN}