[M3devel] NEW in RTType.m3

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 23 10:24:53 CEST 2008

Hello Modula-3 people,

Does anyone know whether there is anything that prevents using NEW
in RTType.m3?

I added a lot of memory recycling to the Scheme interpreter I am
working on, and now it seems it is spending a lot of time in Typecase
and IsSubtype.  I was wondering if it is possible to memoize IsSubtype
inside RTType.m3...  (specifically just replacing IsSubtype with an
array lookup).

It is the nature of the interpreter that it spends a lot of time
checking types and narrowing things back and forth, as Scheme and
Modula-3 references share the same representation.

      Mika