[M3devel] M3 programming problem : GC efficiency / per-thread storage areas?

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 17 08:32:15 CEST 2008

Well, I was thinking of something even simpler.  A Thread.T is an
OBJECT.  It's garbage collected just like any other object, is it
not?

Why can't the thing that makes new threads simply include a single
globally visible field in every Thread.T, of type REFANY?  Call it "data".

Then you can always manipulate Thread.Self().data as you see fit
without any need for locks.  There can be no problem with this as
long as it is always manipulated from within that thread.
Of course this can be trivially encapsulated by not revealing "data"
and indeed always accessing it as Thread.Self().data.

You would not normally access this from any other thread.  It's indeed
only meant to be used in the idiom

  x := Allocate();
  TRY
    DoSomething(x)
  FINALLY
    Free(x)
  END

It's also not really a "Free" but just returning the object to a free
list (there can be no unsafe behavior here).

As a "nicer" interface, one could register routines with a public
interface, asking it to manufacture some kind of thread globals.
For maximum sanity, they would be visible inside the MODULE that
requested them, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this.  And of
course there's not much point in any of this unless it can be made
efficient or else a mutex plus a true global will work just as well.

What I'm talking about I guess could be done by hacking up Thread.Fork()
to return a subtype of Thread.T, but that won't work for the first
thread.  But with this method you could have arbitrary fields (and
methods) attached to a Thread.T.  How to collect everything you need
is a different story...

I'm not asking for a new language feature... really was just wondering
if anyone had tried anything like this before, and now am rambling a
bit.

     Mika